Wednesday 10 September 2014

Top 5 • Favourite Films

A slightly different post from me today - and that's about films. Something you should know about me, is that I am absolutely obsessed with films - we have such a large collection in our house and I love nothing more than to curl up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a biscuit and watch a good film. I have many many films that I love, but I thought I would share five of my favourites with you and if you haven't seen any of them - I highly recommend giving them a watch.



Moulin Rouge - Now this is one of my all time favourite films ever to exist ever. It was what started my love of Ewan McGregor which has lasted many many years. It's a musical but all the songs are amazing, weirdly mashed up versions of songs by people like Elton John, The Police and Whitney Houston. There's one song in it that was written especially for the movie and that is my favourite one - Come What May. The story is set in Paris, in the Moulin Rouge during 1900. It follows the love story of Christian the writer and Satine the star cabaret actress at the Moulin Rouge. It's full of humour, love and a little bit of tragedy. Baz Luhrmann is the director and I absolutely adore his films they are gorgeous to watch and so wonderfully bizarre that you're never able to look away. 


Her - This is quite a recent release, I only bought it on DVD this year but already it holds a special place in my heart. It's set in the future when technology has massive improved and the main character Theodore falls in love with his OS on his computer system - Samantha. It sounds odd - but it's really beautifully written and shot and it did make me have a bit of a cry as well (which isn't difficult I'll admit). I really recommend this to anyone who likes a quirky love story. 





Romeo + Juliet - Another Baz Lurhmann film (surprise surprise). I love everything about this film; the look of it, the music, the actors and the way that it's all spoken in shakespearian english despite being set in modern day (not everyone's cup of tea - but as an english student who loves shakespeare, it's perfect). Leonardo DiCaprio is in his prime in this film as it came out in 1996. It's just a really great adaptation of the play with Baz Lurhmann's signature madness added into it. I don't need to tell you all what it's about as I don't think anyone doesn't know the story of Romeo and Juliet. 

The Boat That Rocked - This is again one of my all time favourite films ever, I watch it all the time and I never ever get bored of it. It's directed by Richard Curtis who is on par with Baz Luhrmann as my favourite director - and Hans Zimmer is involved with the music (who also did the music for The Holiday, which I love) and the cast is amazing: Nick Frost, Tom Sturridge (yum), Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans and so many more classic actors. It's based in the 60s about a pirate radio ship called Radio Rock and it's a feel-good film that is so easy to watch. Honestly I recommend this so so much. 





Now my fifth film is kind of a cheat. Basically because I love Richard Curtis's romantic comedies so darn much I literally couldn't pick a favourite one. So I'm just recommending all of them. Love Actually, Four Weddings and a Funeral, About Time and Notting Hill (I don't have Notting Hill on DVD, only on video which is why it's not in this photo). All of these films are beautiful. Beautifully written, hilarious, heart-warming and occasionally quite sad. The romance is so classic and never ever cheesy. I can't express how much I love these films - Richard Curtis is a genius, and every film is full of extremely talented actors and actresses. Please I urge you to go and watch them and love them as much as I do. 





And there you have it. Some films that I have watched many many times and can probably quote most of the lines whilst watching them. You may notice there's no horror or scary films in there - basically because I hate scary films and can't watch them for long enough to decide if I even like them or not because I've got my hands over my eyes the whole time. I also haven't included Harry Potter - which is my life obsession, because those books and films are in a league of their own and deserve a blog post to themselves as I love them so darn much. 

I hope that some of you may go out and watch some of these if you haven't already - but I expect many of you are already familiar with these films. What are your favourite films? Any the same as me? 

Thanks so much for reading - have a fab day guys! 

Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment